Do you seek relief from insomnia, tension headaches, neck or back pain? Are you sore from your recent workout? Does it feel like you need to flush toxins and refresh your energy? Learn about the health benefits below of regular therapeutic massage from a Certified Massage Practitioner.
Laura McKenna is a graduate of the Monterey Institute of Touch in Carmel Valley, California. She specializes in THERAPEUTIC & SUBTLE BODYWORK using Swedish, Shiatsu, and Muscle Energy techniques, along with Reflexology, Energy Clearing / Polarity, and Sports Massage techniques. Call her at 1-831-204-0478, or click the service you need below to schedule your appointment today.
Benefits of Therapeutic Massage
- Dilates blood vessels, improving circulation and relieving congestion.
- Increases number of red blood cells, especially in cases of anemia.
- Acts as a “mechanical cleanser”, stimulating lymph and hastening elimination of wastes and toxic debris.
- Relaxes muscle spasms and relieves tension.
- Increases blood supply and nutrition to muscles without adding to their load of toxic lactic acid, which is produced through voluntary muscle contraction.
- Helps overcome harmful “fatigue” products – or Ama — resulting from strenuous exercise or injury.
- Improves muscle tone and helps prevent or delay muscular atrophy resulting from forced inactivity.
- Can compensate, at least in part, for lack of exercise and muscular contraction in people who, due to illness, injury or age, are forced to remain inactive. In these cases, massage helps return venous blood to heart and so eases strain on this vital organ.
- May have a sedative or stimulating effect on nervous system, depending on type and length of massage given.
- Improves general circulation and nutrition of all tissues, accompanying or followed by increased interchange of substances between blood and tissue cells, thereby heightening tissue metabolism.
- Increases excretion (via the kidneys) of fluids and nitrogen, inorganic phosphorous, and salts in normal individuals.
- Encourages retention of Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Sulphur, necessary for tissue repair in people convalescing from bone fractures.
- Stretches connective tissue, improving its circulation and nutrition, and so breaks down or prevents the formation of adhesions, reducing the danger of fibrosis.
- Disperses edema following injury to ligaments and tendons, lessening pain and facilitating movement.
- Improves digestion and elimination.
- Tones and relaxes the body and facial muscles, which make for a more youthful appearance.
- Stimulates nerves and all reflex points throughout the body.
- Helps prevent muscular stiffness following exercise.
- Calms the mind.
- Promotes emotional balance and a sense of well-being.
- Can be emotionally, physically, and spiritually nurturing.
- Sets up conditions for body to heal itself.
Laura encompasses all that is needed for an excellent massage. Her spirit, ease and approach allow me to let down my boundaries and make it safe to be vulnerable. Every massage is better than the last. Can’t wait until my next one!
Laura’s openness and communication plus reflexology at the beginning really helped me “settle in” and relax. And ending with it was great! She adjusted her techniques when requested. Loved the shoulder and neck soothing on my sore parts. I felt like I received an extra long massage! Excellent. Thank you, Laura!
You made me feel so very welcome and honored. I felt like I was being nurtured and healed. Thank you so much! I can’t wait to come back!
Laura took time to get to know me, then let me feel included on the table via my deep healing breaths. The pressure points and shiatsu – amazing! Every technique was awesome. She spoke softly and had a nice heated table that was very comfy.
Laura is very knowledgeable and has a calming personality. She provided relaxing music, good aromas, and explained professionally what she would be doing. She is very thorough during the intake and the session. Laura did an excellent job!
Laura is present, kind, comforting. She is a wonderful healer and has an amazing presence about her.
It was pretty amazing. I liked the entry into the session. Laura helped me mentally be there, made a note that this is where I needed to be. I didn’t need to be anywhere else. Really relaxed me and set me up for a successful calm massage. Loved the “bouncing” to encourage relaxation without words. And leaning into my hip and lower back, she educated as she did a few stretches. Really showed she knew the body and ways to help me.
Laura is very in tune with each area she is working on. I felt both relaxed and a release of pain points. Laura is such a gifted therapist. I love how I feel when we are done, and always look forward to seeing her again!